Friday, May 29, 2009

The journey begins

I’ve come to seek perfection — the best french fry in the gourmet ghetto.

It’s a trip/travel log; a journey of discovery. I admit I don’t know what makes the best french fry; the criteria isn’t established. But I’m confident I’ll learn.

Despite my bravado, and like many round-the-world travel stories, I’m venturing off with the naïve expectation the story ends when I find myself back where I started (after years of torment and deprivation, the prodigal returns home). As applicable here, I already know the best french fry, I only have to discover who makes it along Shattuck Avenue in Berkeley, roughly between University Avenue and Rose Street.


View Larger Map

What’s the complication? For FFotGG, a french fry is almost any potato product that hits oil. And I want to decide which one FF in the GG is the best. (For contrast, another view: "Fries come in enough variations that it's possible to have more than one favorite.")

I’m open to what makes the best french fry, and I'm going to consider the wide selection of potato-meet-oil offered in the holy center of California cuisine. For example, here’s a “balsamic onion gratin” from Gregoire I had last year. That’s not your McDaddy’s french fry, and yet it’s included in my journey. Still, the focus here is on french fries simple; plain potato plus hot grease.



But I draw the line. For an example nearer the horror end of the fried spud spectrum, here’s a video of a modern Frankenfry that won’t be covered (at least not until there’s a GG outlet, god forbid); I don’t know if potatoes are enough like oranges to permit the comparison, but my experience with orange juice says you can’t take the water out and reinstate it later and expect it to taste fresh squeezed; thus I have my suspicions about reconstituted potato.

No comments: